Port Townsend High School
1500 Van Ness
Port Townsend, WA 98368
Phone: 360.379.4520 Fax: 360.379.4505
Port Townsend High School Image
General Info Curriculum Schedules Sports Activities Contact Us Alumni

PTHS Boys Soccer Results 2009

Reported by Coach Patrick Kane


PT vs Sequim, Saturday, April 25

PT - 0
Sequim - 2

The Port Townsend boys lost a tough match to Sequim on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Field. The Redskins were coming off a four-game win streak and the Wolves had played and beaten Kingston the night before. The teams met one another two weeks ago at Sequim with the home team winning in the final minutes 2-1.

Sequim's defense made the difference in the game and from the start they denied Port Townsend a lot of opportunities. They did a good job of cutting off passing and not allowing penetration into the penalty box.

Sequim scored first in the 16m on a corner kick. The ball curve into the goal and Jesse Yourish was not able to keep it from crossing the goal line. Port Townsend held Sequim scoreless the remainder of the half and just wasn't able to get on the board.

The second half provided entertaining soccer and a manner of who would blink first. Port Townsend controlled the middle of the field but just could not finish with a goal. The defensive formation was changed for Port Townsend allowing more players to play forward. The Wolves would not allow anything to get in the goal and just prior to the end of the game tallied another goal.

Port Townsend is 6-3 in league and has a game Monday night at home against North Kitsap at 6:45. Their final home game, Senior Night, is Wednesday agains North Mason for a 6:45 kick off.


PT vs Klahowya, Thursday, April 16

PT - 5
Klahowya - 0

The Port Townsend soccer team picked up two key wins on the road this past week. The boys played Thursday night against Klahowya and won 5 -0. It was a tight first half with PT going into half time with a 1-0 lead on a Luis Quintana goal that was assisted by Alex Lockwood. The Redskins came out in the second half with a little more intensity as Alex Lockwood picked up an unassisted goal in the 42m. Sam Selisch scored a goal with an assist by Sebastian Lyons in the 56m. Making some offensive changes created two more goals late in the second half with Hab Rubio picking up his first goal of the season being assisted by Chris Shively in the 67m and Quintana finished the night with his second goal in the 70m.


PT vs Bremerton, Friday, April 17

PT - 3
Bremerton - 2

Port Townsend won at Bremerton on Friday night 3-2. The Knights scored first in the first half on a goal by Matt Olsen and he scored on a PK in the second half putting Bremerton up 2-0 with 36m left to play. Port Townsend took over from there and never looked back. Harrison Hodgson scored twice in the 56m (MacLachlan) and in the 66m. Chris Shively won the game with a goal coming from an Alex Lockwood corner in the 72m. Port Townsend is 4-2 in league and 5-4 overall
Port Townsend hosts Port Angeles in Junior Varsity and Varsity action on Monday, April 20 with gate and concession receipts going toward the Andrew J. Palmer Memorial Scholarship.

Soccers Players Split

The PT boys soccer team split a pair of games on the road this week. They won their first game at North Mason on Tuesday night, April 7, 5-3 and lost to Sequim on Friday night, April 10, 2-1. The Redskins currently are 2-2 in league, fifth place and 3-4 overall.

At North Mason both teams were playing their first game in over a week due to spring break. Both teams were not connecting with their passing and shots on goal went wide of the mark. Port Townsend got on the board first with a goal by Luis Quintana in the 14m with a nice pass up the wing by Austen Lawrence. Seven minutes later Quintana buried the ball in the back of the net with a well connected pass from Seiji Thielk. North Mason finally answered with a goal in the 32 m on a defensive miscue and the half ended 2-1.

The PT offense and midfield got rolling offensively in the second half with a goal by Sam Selisch in the 51 m with an assit by Alex Lockwood. Fifteen minutes later North Mason was whistled for playing the ball back to their goalkeeper illegally which resulted in an indirect kick from six yards from the goal line. Quintana tried to force the ball between defenders but it bounced off the wall. Sebastian Lyons was able to chase it down and put it into the net for a PT goal. North Mason scored shortly after that on another defensive miscue but Alex Lockwood added one more goal for the Redskins in the 65 m.

PT lost two players to injuries early in the first half so it was nice to see the substitutes pick up the slack and fill in well defensively. "PT didn't play well in the midfield until the middle of the second half." stated Coach Shively, "but once we started connecting passes the team played well."

Friday nights under the lights is normally reserved for football teams in the fall but there is no reason to not to have it for football teams in the spring. The Redskins were going into Friday's game tied with Sequim and two other teams for second place in the Olympic league. Players from both sides knew what was at stake as well the intense rivalry that has been building up over the years. When the game ended both squads left their heart and soul on the field and it was an exciting game to watch.

Port Townsend was holding their own and dominating the first half with the midfield and front strikers. There were missed opportunities but the Redskins were relentless in pursing the ball and marking the Wolves tightly. Sequim found a crack in the defense by attacking from the right side and sliding the ball across the middle and netting a goal in the twenty-seventh minute. This didn't deter the Townsend squad for they kept attacking offensively and as Alex Lockwood was attacking the Sequim goal he was taken down in the penalty box creating a penalty kick for Luis Quintana. Luis connected and the game was knotted up 1-1 at half time.

In the second half both teams had ramped up their defenses and had an almost equal number of shots on goal. The Wolves were rewarded with a direct kick late in the second half with about three minutes remaining in the game. The Wolves sending up one of their taller strikers headed the ball into the goal. Port Townsend didn't let down and had create three scoring opportunities but unfortunately were not able to capitalize. "I felt this was the best game PT has played as a team all season," said Coach Nowak, "our midfield and defense did a nice job in getting the ball to the outside and playing it the wings." I was please with the team's performance especially the reserves coming off the bench and keeping the energy up.

Our next two games are away at Klahowya, Silverdale Stadium, and Bremerton HS with the varsity games starting at 6:45.


PT vs Fife - Thursday, March 26

PT - 1
Fife - 4

Port Townsend boys lost to Fife 4-1 on Thursday night. The team played well even if the score may not be an indication of that. Fife was undefeated coming into last night's game having scored 11 goals to their opponents 4. Fife is a very young but talented team with their leading scoring Caesar Esquivel, a freshman, had collecting six goals in three games. Sam Selisch scored PT's lone goal in the 55th min, this is Sam's third goal of the season. Max Gunn and Josh Holbrook did a nice job defending Esquivel limiting him to one goal early in the game and frustrating him the remainder of the match.

Some players filled in different roles from what they were accustomed to due to teammates taking an early spring break.
PT travels to North Mason on April 7 for a varsity only contest which starts at 6:45, the next JV match is April 8 at home against Sequim with game time at 4:00.


PT vs Kingston - Tuesday, March 24
PT - 2
Kingston - 3

The Port Townsend boys lost a tough match against Kingston on Tuesday night, 3-2. This was a league match so PT is now 0-1 in league, 2-2 overall. The Redskins got on the board first with a 30 yd chip shot from Sebastian Lyons in the 24m. The Bucs answered with a goal five minutes later from Matthew Hunt on a direct kick. Each team did an excellent job defensively the remainder of the half. Port Townsend got on the board early in the second half with a goal by Luis Quintana which was assisted by Alex Lockwood. However, the Kingston squad answered again with a second goal one minute later. Diego Portillo found the back of the net unassisted. Kingston's third goal came in the second overtime with 35 seconds remaining. Josh Bell scored from twelve yards out and the Port Townsend team couldn't answer back.
"They took us out of the game defensively after we scored our second goal," stated Patrick Kane, " we let them dictate the game which allowed them to get back into the game and win it."

PT plays Fife on Thurs., Mar 26 at Memorial Stadium before taking a week off for spring break.


PT vs South Whidbey - Saturday, March 21
PT- 5
South Whidbey - 2

PT Soccer Team wins
The Port Townsend boys soccer team may consider trading in their soccer ball for golf clubs as they got another Eagle today, as in the South Whidbey Eagles. On Thursday night Port Townsend beat the Eagles of Klahowya and today under sunny skies the Redskins won 5-2. What started out as a physical match ended up a Port Townsend controlled game. Port Townsend got on the scoreboard first with a Josh Holbrook goal which was assisted by Alex Lockwood on a corner kick. Two minutes later Alex Lockwood cracked a shot from twelve yards out which hit off the crossbar but Sebastian Lyons quickly retrieved the ball and put a "bulge in the old onion bag" for the Redskins second tally. The South Whidbey team got on the scoreboard with a penalty kick late in the first half and the first half ended 2-1. The second half got rolling for Port Townsend with a dandy pass from Alex Lockwood to Luis Quintana who buried it at the 59th minute mark. Quintana found the goal again in the 73th minute with an assistant from Austen Lawrence. South Whidbey came back with an answer in the 77th minute but Port Townsend sewed up the game with Alex Lockwood capitalizing on a penalty kick in the 79th minute.

The Port Townsend record is 2-1 and Port Townsend plays Kingston at home at 6:45 on Tues. Mar 24.


PT vs Klahowya - Thursday, March 19

PT - 6
Klahowya - 2

The Port Townsend boys soccer team won its first home game against Klahowya on Thursday Mar 19, 6-2. The Redskins got three goals in the first half, Sam Selisch scored the first goal with an assist from Austen Lawrence in the 20th minute and then Luis Quintana scored the second goal unassisted at the 25 minute mark. Sam Selisch scored four minutes later with an assist from Louie Gittelman. The Redskins were up 3-0 at the half. In the second half Quintana got his second goal in the second half at the 46 min mark unassisted. Klayhowa answered back with their own goal at the 48th minute scored by Case Gorecki with an assist by John McLaughlin. Luis Quintana scored his third and final goal of the evening unassisted at the 49th minute and Jesse Yourish got his first goal by scoring a penalty kick in the 59 minute. Klahowya answered once more with a score off a corner kick by John McLaughlin. The PT team played very well defensively and the midfielders did a nice job of controlling the middle. Port Townsend is now 1-1 in two non-league games. Port Townsend has a game at Memorial Field on Saturday Mar 21 at 12:00 pm with the Junior Varsity game at 2:00


Last updated 27.Apr.09 by Jan Boutilier